Friday, February 09, 2007


This was an especially challenging swap for me! We received a grab bag of material from an unknown swap player. We were to take the items and create an art quiltie, whatever inspired us with what came in the baggie and we also could add a certain percentage of our own items, no smaller than 18x18 inches and no bigger than 24x24"! In my bag came this wonderful picture of the woman's Great Grandparents! It was printed on fabric, you can see the bag in the shots here! And their names where given and that the picture was taken in Slovenia! So from that, I went with my idea! They are sitting in the tree...with wings and the moon behind them is the map of Slovenia! I did free motion quilting on it, hand drew the tree and added all sorts of little touches until my muse told me to stop! It was fabulous and scary at the same time! We included an artist statement with the quiltie when we were told who to mail back to! This helped them see the process we went through and the thoughts that encompassed us as we created the piece for them! It was tremendous fun!
The quote I chose is.......What lies before us, and what lies behind us, are tiny matters compared to what lies within us! I also sent a bag of fabric and got back a very wwonderful piece which I will post soon! Hugs,Patti



8 comments:

Jo Wholohan said...

this is absolutely stunning!!!!!

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh!!!!!! this it supercalifragestic fantastic!!!! i didn't realize you were such an experienced quilter. the collage, design and everything are fabulous, but it's the amazing quilting that brings it all together. and the texture it adds ... wow ... my machine doesn't do free motion embroidery, not that i could even do it. but my girlfriend is a seamstress, quilter ... so at least i can recognize talent and artistry!!! wow wow wow

Anonymous said...

OMG, Patti...my jaw is still hanging on the floor!!! What an absolutely EXQUISITE art quiltie! I am in awe as to all of the work that you have put into this, especially with all of the free-motion quilting (which is something that I would LOVE to be able to accomplish!).

This is such an incredible idea and project. With my recent interest in fabric art again, I would love to know what fabric group(s) you could recommend to me.

moi said...

Patti,
I am impressed. I would be too scared to do this for fear of messing it up and I can only imagine how challenging it was to come up with an idea and skate with it. You have done an incredulous job. Well, well done!! This is true inspiring art.

Ruth Rae said...

you amazing girl!
this quilt is beyond words!
and over the top!
its so stunning~
I wish I could see this one up close!
all the machine stitching!!!
and the swirls !!!
I could gush on this for hours!!!
I bet it was hard to let this one go!

Kerri Jean said...

Ditto what Ruth just said. I don't think I'd be able to send such an amazing piece of artwork away. I just love swirls, and you made the subtle color palette absolutely amazing with the tree & stitches. The whole composition is just fabulous, Patti. Words hardly do it justice!!!!!

gunnelsvensson said...

This quilt is stunning! so good, so much feeling, and so lovely!

Babsarella said...

This is INCREDIBLE!!! I love the cool tree and putting the map of Slovenia is such a cool idea. LOVE THIS PIECE BUNCHES!!!